Katakana on the FF7 Naming Screen
The default alphabet shown is hiragana but the default name is katakana.
Below is the Character Naming Screen with the katakana alphabet selected:
Cloud's name is spelled in katakana as:
- ク + ラ + ウ + ド
- ku + ra + u + do
Katakana "Alphabet" (Syllabary)
Main Symbols (Monographs)
Select a character to see where it's used in Final Fantasy VII.
Sometimes, two symbols are combined (a "digraph") to make a single syllable.
Example 1: This happens when the second symbol is a small ya, yu, yo:
- ji + ya = ja (as in Mystery Ninja)
- ki + yu = kyu (as in Vacuum)
- chi + yo = cho (as in Chocobo)
Example 2: This happens when the second symbol is a small a, i, u, e, o.
This is used to get foreign sounds otherwise not possible.
For instance, suppose you want to spell Tifa = ti + fa.
- There is no symbol for "ti". (There is ta, chi, tsu, te, to.)
- There is no symbol for "fa". (There is ha, hi, fu, he, ho.)
- If you combine テ = te with small イ = ィ = i, it becomes ティ = ti.
- If you combine フ = fu with small ア = ァ = a, it becomes ファ = fa.
So, Tifa is spelled ティファ.
Below is a combined table (monographs and digraphs) showing possible syllables.